Being Carly, MDW

Maybe I should have picked out the suits and dresses…

(Conversation that occurred last night at dinner)

Carly: Nate, I haven’t figured out what you’re going to do in the wedding.
Nate: What do you mean?
Carly: I haven’t figured out if you’re going to hand out programs or seat people or what, since you won’t be standing with the wedding party.
Nate: Why am I not standing with the wedding party?
Carly: Because you’re not wearing a black suit. You’re wearing a grey suit.
Janean: You’re supposed to wear a black suit.
Nate: So what? You said that was fine.
Carly: I said that was fine if that’s what you wanted to wear, but you couldn’t stand next to the ten people in black suits if you did that.
Janean: You should get a black suit.
Nate: Nobody will even notice.
Carly: Everyone will notice. The people attending the wedding know the difference between grey and black.
Janean: We’re all going to be in black. I have a black dress.
Carly: See? Black.
Janean: Ooooh, you could totally get a black suit at Goodwill or some other thrift store.
Carly: Wow, it’s like Janean was on my side and then she just decided to harpoon my wedding. Please do not wear a black suit from Goodwill.
Nate: I offered to wear a black suit.
Janean: No, you offered to wear a tuxedo.
Nate: A tuxedo is practically a black suit.
Janean: No, it’s not.
Carly: It’s really not, dude.
Janean: The only person in a tux is the person getting married.
Carly: Right. Kyle is in a tux.
Nate: But it’s the same thing.
Carly: No. No. See, it’s like how Janean is wearing a dress and I’m wearing a dress, but she’s wearing a bridesmaid dress and I’m wearing a wedding gown. Both dresses, but wildly different things.
Janean: Oh yeah, you don’t really want me to send you a picture of the dress I’m wearing, do you?
Carly: Yes, that’s why I asked everyone to send me pictures of what they were wearing.
Janean: Oh, I didn’t think you meant me, though.
Carly: Every person I sent that letter to doesn’t think I meant them. We have an entire wedding party of people who think that they have a special exception.
Nate: I sent you a picture.
Carly: Yes, of you in a grey suit. I asked for you in a black suit. It’s like you almost got it, but you really kind of didn’t at all.
Nate: Oh. So wait, you want me to wear a black suit at the wedding?
Carly: Yes.
Janean: From Goodwill.
Carly: No.

• Reply maggieplans

And this is reason #342 I’m not having a wedding party. It’s hard enough managing our families– I can’t imagine trying to wrangle all of our friends scattered across the country too!

October 9, 2008 at 2:08 pm
  • Reply Stefanie

Haha…that’s really funny :)…can he rent a black suit? At our wedding, we wanted suits, not tuxes…and they were all rented. We were going to let them wear their own, but then we decided we wanted brown suits. Have you looked into a rental for him (like you don’t have enough other stuff to do…haha)?

October 9, 2008 at 2:09 pm
  • Reply Brandy

He can totally rent a black suit!! My man was in a wedding party and they all wore black suits that were rented.
    You got to sort of love that he didn’t think anyone would notice the lone person in the gray suit!!

Men!

October 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm
  • Reply thatdisneygirl

I told him that, but he’s probably going to buy one. He’s in the legal field too and it’s not like he couldn’t use a black suit. The three of us are supposed to take a shopping trip to get one in the next four weeks. That will probably be a post in itself…

October 9, 2008 at 2:19 pm
  • Reply AmyJean

My FH and i had a similar conversation about black suits and tuxes and suits in general… not sure why its so hard to comprehend! lol… that made me chuckle 🙂

October 9, 2008 at 2:40 pm
  • Reply Carly

Hahaha!! Funny post. Before I saw your comment above, I was going to say – he should just buy one. Every guy can use a black suit. Check when Macys Men’s Store is having their big suit sale. They have great suits (but they get pricey…so sale time is best!)

October 9, 2008 at 3:33 pm
  • Reply Becky D.

This is just too funny!

October 9, 2008 at 5:06 pm
  • Reply Luis

When all else fails violence is a good option. Have you considered beating some sense into your peeps? Be forewarned though that people will then think you are a Bridezilla. People can be so overly-sensitive.

October 9, 2008 at 5:29 pm
  • Reply The British Lass

Wait… so I can’t buy my black dress at goodwill?… I wonder if they do returns…

October 9, 2008 at 5:58 pm
  • Reply Krista

That’s a funny post … I especially enjoy everyone thinking they had a special exemption!

October 9, 2008 at 8:24 pm
  • Reply Wedding Poop

LoL. How stressful. Makes for a good blog though. :o)

October 10, 2008 at 11:39 am
  • Reply Brown Bear

Can I wear a grey suit too! me and Nate could be BUDDIES! :]

October 14, 2008 at 2:02 am
  • Reply Happy 5th Anniversary, Friends! | Magical Day Weddings | A Wedding Atlas Fan Site for Disney Weddings

[…] Maybe I Should Have Picked Out the Suits and Dresses… […]