Recipe

Adventures in Pork Uterus

As part of my 101 in 1001 project, I’ve been on the hunt for meat that I’ve never had before. I’m a big time carnivore (going to the zoo makes me hungry) so the challenge of finding new meat was actually pretty difficult. After scouring the grocery stores and butcher shops here in Utah, I figured my best bet would be to wait until I was on the coast and then find a fish I’d never had.

Well, as it turns out, the coast offers lots of meats that I’ve never had before, as long as you’re shopping in the right place. When we got to California last week, we stopped in at an Asian grocery store to pick up some snacks and I was greeted with a whole case of meats that didn’t sound familiar. I debated long and hard about whether to get a pair of beef hearts or a pound of pork bung (don’t ask, I have no idea), but ultimately I went for the weirdest of the weird: pork uterus.

I’ll have you know, my family eats some really weird stuff and I usually only get to eat certain things when I’m in California, including fresh crab backs (the fat lining the shell is edible) and little fish fried up like french fries.

BUT, even though I would think of my relatives as being adventurous eaters, they were all grossed out by the pig uterus. Super grossed out. As in, tried to pay me not to eat it.

I would not be deterred, even when I pulled it out of the package and found out that it was even weirder than I thought it was. Apparently a uterus is a V-shaped organ attached to the cervix that sort of resembles a wrinkly tube.

Nobody else seems to be into eating pork uterus, because I couldn’t find a single recipe online, so I had to sort of wing it. I sliced it up, cleaned it really well, and then heated up some oil, ginger, and green onion.

When I added the uterus pieces, they immediately turned white and started to shrink up and harden. This part was actually a little gross, because as the tissue constricted it squeezed all of the blood out of the tissue and into the pan, so I had to drain it a little bit. After a while, though, it just started to look like macaroni and I only had to add a little soy sauce and cook it for about five minutes before it was done. I didn’t want to overcook it, since it was getting harder and harder by the second.

Once it was in the bowl, it wasn’t scary anymore and it smelled really good…sort of like liver, but with a strong pork aroma. And the taste? Delicious! I’m serious, this stuff was really good! It was like rich, salty, pork-flavored calamari and I ate up half the bowl before my stomach started to tell me that I wasn’t supposed to be eating that much uterus all at once.

Unfortunately, I did have the worst dream that night about giving birth to a litter of children. So I think the uterus was a one-time meal, but hey! One more thing off my list!

• Reply Anonymous

Oh my gosh, the pictures of that make me want to puke. I can't believe you were brave enough to try it!

February 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

LOL try anything once right?!?! You're adventurous! Next time I am in the meat department I am looking for that, but no, no, I won't be buying it. Just seeing if we have it here. LOL

$2.99 a lb. not to shabby either my friend LOL

February 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

you are the wierdest person i know!

February 9, 2010 at 2:57 am
  • Reply Anonymous

Wow! What an awesome "experiment"! Do you ever watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern? He's not afraid to try ANYTHING. Sounds like you are the same way, which is totally impressive.

February 9, 2010 at 8:40 am
  • Reply Anonymous

You are so braver than I am! I might have been able to try it if someone else made it, but definitely not if I had to cook it myself.

February 9, 2010 at 8:52 am
  • Reply Anonymous

I wanted to puke, just reading your post. You are SO brave!

February 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I just read your post and couldn't see the pictures (thankfully! lol) I thought eating cow tongue and tripas (lining of the intestine) was adventurous of me, but Carly – you just took the cake!

February 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I was a bit grossed out, especially with the photo of the uterus stretched out. However, once you mentioned the ingredients involved, I swear I could smell it (yum) and the end result did look a bit like calamari. If I could skip past the preparing and cooking it myself part, I might be tempted to try it.

Go you for doing it. Gutsy…or more like uterus-y.

February 10, 2010 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

thats actually a korean delicacy haha. thats not exactly how we make it (sounds delicious that way tho!), but we do eat pork uterus, its called boochangdahng or something like that. my mom used to tell me that it was intestine (still gross i guess but a step up from uterus) to get me to eat it. i actually like the dish, just had some today lol!

March 8, 2010 at 12:38 am
  • Reply Anonymous

This is hilarious because i was just craving this the other day.

I'm filipino and we stick these on skewers after a day-long of marinade then stick 'em under the fire until they are brown enough you wouldn't tell the difference between it and a bbq chicken! lol

March 8, 2010 at 11:54 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

I found this page after telling my roomate that the strangest thing I've seen in a Chinese supermarket was pig uterus. Thanks for enlightening the internet with your thoughts! I also wonder about the pork bung. Just colloquially I'm assuming it's the poo dispensing area.

April 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm
  • Reply Jenn

Pork uterus can also be known as fallopian tubes… Which as a Canadian-Chinese person who grew up eating everything, I love! I commend you for giving it a try, especially winging it with your own recipe – not sure I’d be so brave 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I don’t know that I’ll be eating it any time soon, but if you have a better recipe I would love to hear it! My Internet searching was not too helpful so it’s good to hear that someone really loves them!

May 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm
    • Reply Ann

Actually, the fallopian tubes (oviducts) are small and narrow and connect the ovaries to the uterus. They appear kind of squiggly. You can readily see the follicles in the ovaries. The larger squiggly part that gets cut up into “elbows” is the uterine horn. So what you’re getting when you buy pork uteri are the uterine horns, uterine corpi (bodies), ovaries, fallopian tubes (oviducts), the bulk of it being the uterine horns. Sorry about the anatomy lesson! 😉

January 14, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Thank you so much for leaving your recipe and info!! I’m glad you had such a good experience…it makes me want to pick some up again this summer and try for round 2.

January 15, 2015 at 11:45 am
  • Reply Ann

Mine didn’t smell at all except when I took it out of the package. It was deliciously tender when finished. I soaked the uteri in salt water overnight. Next day, rinsed well in cold water. Added some vinegar and let sit about 10 minutes. Rinsed well again. Then I marinated the cut-up uteri for about 20 minutes and put everything in the pressure cooker. Came out perfect and tender with no odor at all. At this point it can be used in a number of ways such as stir-fry, tacos, in a salad, etc. I just ate it the way it came out of the pressure cooker with rice and roasted veggies. Definitely has a pork flavor but milder than a pork chop with a taste of its own that I can’t describe. Heavier ingredients would have overpowered the delicately flavored uteri. I did use the fat. I even put in some pieces that seemed as if they would be tough while I was cutting the uteri and they came out fork tender. I was very pleased and will make pork uteri again. This is way better than honey-comb tripe! Thanks for sharing your experience and recipe! Btw, it just hit me…the flavor I couldn’t describe is sort of like a cross between turkey and duck. Interesting.

January 14, 2015 at 10:46 pm