Even though we moved into this house in March, there’s still a long list of things that I want to do before I’ll feel settled in. Some of them are pretty big (buy new furniture) and some of them are so little I can’t believe I haven’t done them yet (hang new towel hook in bathroom). Isn’t it funny how all of that stuff just seems to pile up?
Well, I managed to get off my butt long enough last weekend to take care of a handful of things that I’ve been wanting to do to Eva’s room. Her nursery is a nice place to sit and hang out, but even with all of her stuff in there it was looking a little…blank.
I started by hanging a bunch of letters above her bed, so they’re the first thing you see when you walk into her room. I love how they fill the space all the way to the ceiling.
In the corner of the room, I was starting to get bugged by how short her giant giraffe looked standing behind her crib. So, I made a few “rainclouds” out of tissue paper and cardstock to fill in the empty space.
For the wall behind her dresser/changing table, I made her a little art gallery. The best part of this wall is that almost every piece of art was a gift from someone, so it’s really special how it all came together.
I still have plans for her room. I’d like to paint the bookshelves to make them stand out a little bit and I want to make a cover for her little reading chair, since she uses it every night and it’s not too easy to clean. A cover will also protect it from the cats, who can’t seem to figure out whether or not they should be scratching holes in all of our furniture.
I’m also scheming other storage options for her books, of which she has about a bazillion (this is roughly half of them). I don’t want to put any away because we rotate them out a lot and go through them pretty quickly. Maybe a long shelf/bench somewhere else in the house?
Even though it isn’t finished, I’m still very pleased with how much I finally got done this weekend and very appreciative of my husband for helping me out. Eva seems to be pretty happy with it, too…
* * * * *
Shopping Guide for Eva’s Art Gallery:
- Canvas print of wedding gift designed by Sarah at craftyFOLK
- Giraffe wall hanging – a gift from my mom from a few years back
- “Year of the Rabbit” letterpress designed by dutch door press – gift from Janean
- Personalized alphabet poster from Petite Lemon – gift from Jessica and Adam
- Print by Nikki McClure – gift from Janean
- Vintage cardboard Disney decoration, found at a local bookstore
- 2011 calendar by dutch door press – promo from Alt Design Summit
- Eva’s Chinese name written out by my Aunt Carole
- Plastic clock from Target
- Thomas Kinkade Princess and the Frog prints – gift from Kyle’s parents
- Porcelain bear – gift from Eva’s Red Egg party
- Colored pencil drawing of a mouse on the moon – gift from my dad and his family