Allergies, Holidays, Recipe

Santa Strawberry Shortcakes

Eva has been crazy preoccupied with Santa over the last week so I strategically stacked strawberries, whipped cream, and angel food cake to create these little Santa jars. (The face is wipe-off marker.) I’m really coming around to thinking that heavy cream is a household staple. It’s full of calories, but just a little bit can make the difference in a pasta sauce or cup of cocoa. It’s also been a good sub-in now that Eva can’t eat commercial brands of ice cream (nut cross-contamination is rampant!).

santa-strawberry-shortcakes

• Reply Gaylin

That is seriously cute and easy. Too bad for me that my dumb allergies means I can’t eat angel food cake.

November 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    • Reply admin

Angel food cake is a pain to make, anyway. Maybe you could sub in pudding? Smashed banana? Tons and tons and tons of whipped cream? 😉

November 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm
  • Reply Hope

That is so cute!!!! I think I have to try this. So all you did was cut up some angel food cake and strawberries, squirt some whipped cream and top with another strawberry? I love desserts that take just as long to make as they are to eat. 🙂

November 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm
    • Reply admin

Yep, it was really easy. I did use a pastry bag because I want to push Santa’s beard into a little point, but I think it was overkill.

November 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm
  • Reply J. Darling

Fat isn’t actually bad for you! I know that’s hard to wrap our brains around, but too much of anything is a bad thing. So a bit of full fat butter or cream now can really make you feel more satisified, which encourages you to eat less overall, so it can really help balance out the diet! I’m (like you) SO used to seeing “Fat free” as “healthy.” I forget it’s not!

November 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm
    • Reply admin

Good comment, especially with Eva’s new diet! She actually started to lose weight when we restricted her, which is never good for toddlers. Now that I’m sneaking in more cream and butter, she’s getting all of that natural fat to help her little brain grow.

November 30, 2012 at 8:30 pm