Gender reveal has turned into a huge deal. Lots of couples are turning the news into an event by having family over or throwing shower-like parties to announce whether the baby is a boy or a girl. I’ve seen everything from betting on the gender to dropping pink or blue balloons on party guests. One of the most common trends that I’ve seen is a cake reveal, where the color of the cake or the frosting inside announces the gender. Some couples even choose to be part of the surprise, having the doctor write down the gender on a piece of paper and then having that paper put in a sealed envelope to be taken to a local bakery that specializes in gender cakes. (Even Baskin-Robbins will do them if you ask!)
It’s easy to make your own gender reveal cupcakes if you want a cheap, easy, and fun way to break the news to your family. You could probably fancy up this process, but this is the $10 version:
- One box of cake mix for the cupcakes
- One tub of white frosting
- One tub of chocolate frosting
- Food color or colored frosting in pink or blue
(1) Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Allow to cool completely.
(2) Using a grapefruit spoon or the back of a piping tip, hollow out a quarter sized hole in the cupcake. Save the crumbs and pieces you cut out.
(3) Fill the hole with the colored frosting and cover with the crumbs and cake pieces. Pop in the fridge for about a half hour to allow the frosting to harden in the center.
(4) Microwave the chocolate frosting until it’s liquid. Be careful not to overheat it or it will burn. (It’s about one minute and twenty seconds on my microwave.)
(5) Dip the tops of the chilled cupcakes in the microwaved frosting, letting the excess drip off. Allow to set for about 20 minutes (faster if you put them back in the fridge).
(6) Put the white frosting into a pastry bag or a ziploc with the corner cut off and use it to decorate the tops of the cupcakes. You can make question marks, hearts, loops, or write “baby” in cursive.
Once the frosting sets a little, they’re ready to be served! If you’re delivering them instead of serving them at a party, put an individual cupcake into a clear plastic cup and then cover the whole thing in party wrap or saran wrap so you don’t accidentally squish it and let the “secret” color out.
Or you can just cut one in half and post it on your blog to announce the gender of your baby:
PS: It’s a boy! Due early August…
Pin this post: