Home in Progress: Our Disney Gallery Wall


We moved our furniture around right before Calvin arrived and ended up with a large blank wall dominating our living room. We used to have a giant mirror hanging on it, but the mirror was moved to the bedroom when the couches jumped around so all that was left were huge screws promising to leave huge holes in the wall if I removed them. After we moved the furniture, I hung two extra pictures (not matching in size or subject) on the giant screws and decided to deal with it later.

Well, it’s later.

I debated about buying one great big piece of art for the wall, but it’s pretty much our entire living room and I just didn’t see myself buying anything that large that I’d want to look at for the next few years. So, I’ve been browsing Pinterest for gallery wall ideas and I finally found one that was just perfect:

I love that it goes up at an angle and I really love the floating images in the empty frames. I decided it would be fun to do that with some of our Disney photos, since we have so many. Being completely cheap, I decided that I could do a quick DIY version by running down to the thrift store and using photos printed at home. Easy, awesome, done in an afternoon.

Ha ha.


Notice how it doesn’t look like the picture above? Yeah, that’s because this project has been stamped “DOIN’ IT WRONG” in the Carly archives. What I hadn’t realized is that the inspiration photo features new frames from the same frame line in two different colors. Consistent frames hang a lot easier than frames that don’t match and vintage frames, like most of the ones I used, don’t hang straight anyway and are usually hung by scary seventy year old bits of wire that will definitely give you tetanus.

After spending $15 on frames and framing photos printed at home from our Disney vacations, I honestly spent at least six hours trying to make this project work. First, I couldn’t do the floating images I wanted to do because most of the frames didn’t work with that idea. Second, the frames were a total pain to put up. The things would just not hang right. I’d step back and there would be one a little to close to another or one a little too far away or one a little too completely freaking crooked, blah blah blah. And let me just tell you – this is not a DIY project if you have OCD and a hammer. I put so many nail holes in our wall we’re probably just going to have to buy the house so I don’t have to show the landlords what I’ve done.

IMG_5212 IMG_5215

At around 10 PM, I gave up and told Kyle it wasn’t going to work. Exhausted, I haphazardly hung the pictures to cover up the worst holes so I could deal with it all the next day. Weirdly enough…it kind of worked.

I don’t know if it’s desperation because I put so much time into it or if I accidentally stumbled onto something that works, but either way it’s still up on the wall. As Kyle pointed out, it looks better than it did before. Baby steps. Maybe I’ll try again after the holidays.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like


  • Reply Hope

    It looks great. It doesn’t look like the inspiration picture, but it works! Trust me, there are busier looking walls out there with mismatched frames and subjects…(looks to her left)..:D

    November 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm
  • Reply J Darling Humenay

    We’ve lived in this house a year and a half and the amount of blank wallspace is really getting to me! I’ve toyed w/ painting accent walls, etc… It’s nerve wracking! You’ve got great instincts. 😉 It looks cool! I think what you may be missing are the little monogram frames.

    November 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Jeanette

    I think it’s nice to have many pictures together like that:)

    November 21, 2013 at 12:22 pm
    • Reply Carly Morgan

      Thanks, Jeanette!

      December 2, 2013 at 12:30 am

    Leave a Reply